MARLA DESAT'S GEEK GIRL PERSPECTIVE
TOP 10 SIGNS YOU'RE A FAKE GEEK GIRL
10. Search your feelings, you know it to be true!
9. You know there must be fake geek girls because no one has proven that there isn't.
8. You're a fan of hasty generalization.
7. You believe there are geeks, and there are girls. If you are girl, you therefore cannot be a geek. You also dislike Venn diagrams.
6. You're too attractive to be a geek, and must be doing this for attention.
5. You're not attractive enough to be geek, and must be doing this for attention.
4. Your best friend is a True Scotsman.
3. Your depth of knowledge on a single geeky subject is insufficient proof of arbitrary geekdom.
2. Your breadth of knowledge on many geeky subjects is insufficient proof of arbitrary geekdom.
1. You are a sexist strawman conjured as an argument meant to keep women out of geek spaces.
Marla Desat is a recent University of Waterloo grad living and working in Ottawa. When she isn't playing the latest video games, she's geeking out over comic books, board games, tabletop roleplaying games and science. Marla also writes for The Escapist as a freelance news writer. You can follow her on Twitter @mrdesat.