Thursday 3 April 2014

Fake Geek Girl: Marie's Perspective

FAKE GEEK GIRLS, AS SEEN BY MARIE VICTORIA ROBERTSON

FAKE GEEK GIRL?

Since I’ve been incredibly fortunate to never have had the “fake geek girl” label flung at me, I’m a little fuzzy on the concept. As I understand it:
1. Be a girl. Cosplay as characters you don't know, pretend to watch sci-fi shows you don't actually watch, wear Spider Man T-shirts and carry a Marvel backpack even though you obviously know nothing about comics. 
2. ???
3. Profit!

What I do understand is the stunning misogyny demonstrated by these (asshat) male geeks. The idea of women enjoying media that’s previously been deemed “boys only” is so foreign to them that they figure it must really be about them, about how “geek girls” are faking their passions and interests to…. Impress them? Get into their pants? (I assume this is the end goal? Because yeah, I’d totally lie about loving Transformers to get me into bed with one of those charmers.)
-------

Marie Victoria Robertson is a speculative fiction writer and playwright, as well as the board president of Jer’s Vision: Canada’s Youth Diversity Initiative (www.jersvision.org). When all the other girls wanted to marry Johnny Depp, she wanted to run away with Worf on the Enterprise. She enjoys giant robots, time-travel paradoxes, and forcing her son to watch Futurama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...