Tuesday 3 June 2014

Courtney’s Cosplay Confessions: 25 Days Later

WRAPPING UP: POST CON CONCLUSIONS
by Courtney Lockhart

I haven’t fielded the question “So how did it go?” this many times since I got married. To be honest, my answers to both  were very similar: It was awesome, and I was exhausted after it was over.

FINISHING TOUCHES

I had taken the week before Comiccon off work to get things done around the house and deal with any last minute issues that arose. I also had hair and spa appointments to put the last few touches on my whole look. A lot of the other cosplayers here have stressed the importance of a good wig to complete your look. I didn’t feel that was really necessary in this case as my hair was already pretty close to Gwen’s, however that did mean I have committed to a summer of 35 degree weather  with bangs and layered hair.  I don’t regret it, yet.  It also lead to some interesting conversations with stylists and aestheticians. Everyone has a story as to why they want to look a certain way, I like to think mine was one of the more unique ones.

I SHIP IT
Every Gwen needs a Jack



About a month before the con fellow CGG editor Jordan  had told me  she had a surprise for me that would be revealed at Comiccon. I was very curious to see what she came up with. Usually I’m pretty good at guessing these things, but in this case I was completely stumped.  The answer came on the Friday when I was waiting for Jordan in the lobby of the CBC building downtown, and Captain Jack Harkness walked up instead.

As we walked around my understanding of the appeal of group cosplay grew. Having someone there with you to be supportive, check when you have to tuck in the wires on your earpiece, provide another clue to your identity or just have fun with is a huge de-stressor.  It was a great way to start the weekend and I don’t think I have said thank you quite enough yet. 


THOSE WHO MIND DON’T MATTER, AND THOSE 
THAT MATTER DON’T MIND


Feeling Cheeky at the Doctor Who Society of Canada Booth
My biggest anxiety going into this was  the potential reactions I would get.  I braced myself to get a bit of flack.  But that didn’t happen.

In fact I didn’t get much attention at all.  I was completely and utterly accepted to the point that people just carried on and didn’t bat an eye at the bigger lady in faux-leather. Which was really cool in a different way than I had been expecting.

So will I cosplay again? Possibly. If I have the time, money and a burning inspiration. But if I don’t, It won’t be because I’m scared. That part of it  has ended and to borrow a phrase from the show that started it all:

The end is where we start from. 






Courtney Lockhart lives in the west end of Ottawa with her husband and step-cat.  She is polishing her skills to pursue one of her dream careers as either a costume drama character, Torchwood operative or executive assistant to a billionaire vigilante. You can follow her daily mission to DFTBA on Twitter @corastacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...